1892

The First Industrial Proposal on Powell River

1892 The First Industrial Proposal on Powell River

Build it and they will come

From the mid-1870s to the early 1890s, the New Westminster District and its surrounding coastal and island regions experienced a significant transformation as British Columbia’s land system evolved from a settlement-focused model into one driven by industrial development and increasing government regulation. Early Crown Grants, including those issued in 1874 to Alexander Grant and Henry Tracey Berkeley, and in 1876 to Anna Sophia Irelander, demonstrate how large tracts of land were transferred into private ownership in the coastal district of Malaspina Strait.

While the government retained control over key resources, including minerals, timber, and future transportation routes, survey maps from this period, often aligned to true north and referencing earlier survey lines, reflect a cadastral system still being standardized following the transition from colonial to provincial administration.

By 1892, this approach extended across coastal areas and islands such as Texada, where land grants continued to follow the same structured system of private ownership combined with Crown reservations. However, the region’s economy had shifted noticeably toward the extraction of industrial resources. Notices published in The British Columbia Gazette between 1890 and 1891 show timber companies rapidly acquiring rights to harvest forests along major waterways, including Powell Lake, Homfray Channel, Toda Inlet, and Knight Inlet.

On December 4, 1890, J.A. Webster and H.V. Edmonds submitted their applications for land near Dinner Rock, which later became known as Edmonds Farm. This land is situated one mile south of a stream and fifteen miles from the southern end of Powell Lake. Their actions prompted a surge in applicants and led to numerous stories emerging.

New Westinister District 1892 ref lot 1424 (click on image to expand image)

Henry Tracey Geperley 1892 (click on image to view pdf of survey & grant)

Then the Crown conducted surveys of the lands on December 29, 1891, of the lands, Harwood, Savary Island, Hernando, and Mary Islands, which published the information in charts and maps for those looking for new land and timber.

These applications were meticulously assessed and frequently referenced natural features and the boundaries of nearby Indigenous reserves. They illustrate how industrial activities encroached upon forested and coastal areas that were already integral to Indigenous landscapes. In certain instances, companies proposed modifying rivers and streams to facilitate logging operations, highlighting the increasing impact of industry on the natural environment.

Despite this shift, private land ownership continued alongside industrial leasing. A Crown Grant issued in 1891 shows that individuals could still obtain full title to land, although the government continued to reserve important rights. At the same time, provincial authority became more visible through new regulations and administrative measures. By 1892, government notices addressed a wide range of issues from wildlife control and public health regulations to water use under the Rivers and Streams Act, highlighting an expanding bureaucratic presence.

Overall, these developments reflect a region in transition. What began as a system designed to encourage settlement gradually evolved into a more complex, regulated landscape shaped by industrial growth, environmental modification, and greater government oversight.

In January 1891, the first signs of industrial interest in the Powell Lake region emerged through a series of timber lease applications that reveal the early economic pressures shaping the New Westminster District. On January 5, W. P. Sayward declared his intention to apply for permission to lease a tract of land beginning at a post located about one‑half mile east of the Victoria Lumber and Manufacturing Company’s purchase on the north side of First Gordon Pasha Lake. His description followed the standardized survey conventions of the period: north 80 chains, west 80 chains, and south 80 chains back to the lake, closing the boundary by following the shoreline to the point of commencement.

Arthur Milton (click on image to view pdf of documents)

BC Gazette (click on image to view pdf of documents)

Henry Saunters Texada (click on image to view pdf of survey & grant)

Published in Vancouver on January 6 1891, this notice demonstrates that timber operators were already probing the Powell Lake hinterland for accessible timber stands and shoreline control. Later that month, on January 29, the British Columbia Gazette published a dense series of timber lease applications that collectively illustrate a surge of industrial activity across coastal inlets near or connected to the Powell Lake watershed. N. Slaight & Co. submitted multiple applications describing tracts along Knight Inlet and Electric Bay, each defined by shorelines and 40‑ or 120‑chain increments.

Additional applications by the Victoria Lumber & Manufacturing Company and the Brunette Sawmill Company extended this pattern to Homfray Channel and Powell Lake itself. Two Powell Lake applications are particularly significant: one beginning at a stake 20 chains east of the mouth of Powell River, the other at 40 chains east, each describing 40‑chain squares extending north and east before returning to the lake.

These notices confirm that by early 1892, Powell Lake was recognized as a valuable timber corridor. Companies were looking to secure access to the shoreline for activities such as log storage, rafting, and transport. The number of applications clustered around the lake suggests that more ambitious proposals were likely to emerge the following year.

District Lot Registry DL693  (click on image for to expand image)

John Green DLots on Savary Island  (click on image for pdf of surveys & grants)

In February 1892, although geographically separate from Powell Lake, a notice by E. B. Hermon illustrates the broader administrative environment in which industrial land applications were being processed. Dated February 15, Hermon’s application sought to purchase approximately 640 acres between Gordon Pasha and Horseshoe Lake, beginning at the southwest corner of the V. L. & M. Co.’s dam site on Horseshoe Lake, then running south 40 chains, east to the shore of Gordon Pasha Lake, easterly along the shore to a point 80 chains east of the dam site’s eastern boundary, north to Horseshoe Lake, and westerly along the lake shore to the dam site’s northeast corner before closing the boundary.

Mr. E.B. Hermans’ notice clearly indicates that a dam had already been constructed on Horseshoe Lake and that the name attributions were occurring at a rapid pace on the lands away from the shoreline.

On the other side of the Malaspina Strait, Texada Island, officials issued land grants at a rapid pace. On February 8, 1892, they granted Henry Saunders 460 acres along the shores of two lakes. Later that year, on December 13, 1892, they awarded District Lot 1474 to Henry Gepersley.

They also granted several District Lots on Savary Island to John Green, specifically DL 1372, 1375, and 1377, which span the island’s southern, central, and northern sections. Finally, on October 12, 1892, they transferred ownership of the entire Mink Island to Percy W. Evans.

The first direct industrial proposal for Powell River itself emerged on July 11, 1892, when Arthur Milton of Vancouver submitted a formal application under the Rivers and Streams Act, 1890. Addressed to Lieutenant‑Governor Hugh Nelson, Mr. Milton’s proposal sought authorization to clear and remove obstructions from the river or stream flowing from Powell Lake to the salt water, and to make both the river and the lake entrance fit for rafting and driving logs, timber, and lumber.

Mr. Milton further proposed constructing the works necessary to secure logs at or near the mouth of the river. In exchange for undertaking these improvements, he requested a fifty‑year right to charge tolls on all timber floated down the improved waterway: twenty‑five cents per thousand feet for logs, timber, spars, piles, ties, and similar materials, and ten cents per cord for cordwood and shingle bolts. This proposal represents the earliest documented attempt to industrialize the Powell River corridor by transforming the natural watercourse into a regulated, revenue‑generating log‑driving system.

It also marks the first known instance of a private actor seeking long‑term control over the movement of timber from Powell Lake to the sea. Ten days later, on July 21, 1892, the Chief Commissioner of Lands and Works forwarded Mr. Milton’s proposal to the Executive Council. The accompanying memorandum noted that Mr. Milton had filed the required $1,000 bond under Section 3 of the Act, demonstrating financial capacity and compliance with statutory requirements.

The Miner (click on image to download PDF)

Anna Sofia Frolander (click on image to download pdf of survey & grant)

BC Crown Grant Surveys (click on image for pdf of related pages)

The Commissioner recommended that the proposal be provisionally accepted and that a proclamation be issued authorizing Mr. Milton to enter lands adjacent to the stream for the purpose of making necessary surveys, as permitted under Section 2 of the Act. This memorandum marks the beginning of the formal administrative process that would ultimately lead to the first government‑sanctioned industrial intervention on Powell Lake.

In early August 1892, a parallel but distinct initiative appeared when a proclamation was issued authorizing Arthur Malins of Vancouver to conduct surveys for proposed electric works at Powell Lake. Although separate from Mr. Milton’s log‑driving proposal, Mr. Malin’s proclamation is significant because it demonstrates that Powell Lake was attracting interest in hydroelectric development at the same time. The proclamation authorized Mr. Malin and his agents to enter lands adjacent to the river flowing out of Powell Lake to conduct surveys and take levels for the proposed works.

The coexistence of Mr. Milton’s and Mr. Malin’s proposals in the same month reveals a moment of overlapping industrial visions—one focused on timber transport, the other on power generation—both recognizing Powell Lake as a strategic resource.

On August 11, 1892, Lieutenant‑Governor Hugh Nelson formally approved the Executive Council’s recommendation regarding Mr. Milton’s proposal. This approval confirmed the government’s willingness to support the clearing and improvement of the Powell River channel. It authorized the issuance of a proclamation granting Hilton access to adjacent lands for survey purposes.

1934 Release of timber license Eric Erikson (click on image to expand)

Percy W Elaus 1892 (click on image to view pdf of pages)

Six days later, on August 17, 1892, the Executive Council issued a formal order provisionally accepting Mr. Milton’s proposal under the Rivers and Streams Act, 1890. The order authorized Mr. Milton, his engineers, and his servants to enter lands adjacent to the river flowing from Powell Lake for the purpose of conducting necessary surveys. This order completed the statutory process initiated by Mr. Milton’s July proposal. It established the legal foundation for the first industrial modification of the Powell River watercourse, signed by A. Campbell Reddie, Deputy Provincial Secretary.

The British Columbia Gazette of August 25, 1892, though it does not directly reference Mr. Milton or Mr. Malins, provides important administrative context. It includes proclamations, notices from the Provincial Secretary’s office, and announcements of surveyed lands in Kamloops and West Kootenay. These entries reflect the broader administrative context in which the Province evaluated the Powell Lake proposals, characterized by rapid land surveying, expanding settlements, and increased governmental oversight of natural resources.

Powell Lake, with the administrative and industrial groundwork laid in 1891 and 1892, shaped the region’s development in the years that followed, suggesting a transitional period between the initial proposals of 1892 and the later industrial consolidation that culminated in the establishment of the Powell River Company in the early twentieth century.

Although the Province did not officially recognize the name as Powell River, it was commonly known as Teeshqout Creek, and it appeared to recognize Powell Lake. Place names were taking shape throughout the Powell Lake area, along the Malaspina Strait, and on Texada Island, extending roughly 25 miles north and south. The saying “Build it, and they will come” proved true, as people flocked to the area, transforming it into a place to live, work, invest in, and settle. With 1893 approaching rapidly, the influx of people continued to grow.

Alexander Grant (click on image view pdf pages)

Cloth Surveys 1892 (click on image to view pdf of Surveys)

References:

H

Boundaries & Grants

]

Index

I

The Story of Powell River