1895

Dams, Timber and Tolls

1895 Dams, Timber and Tolls

The New Industrial Order on Powell Lake

In 1890, Mr. Thulin began clearing land north of Sliammon (Tla’amin Nation) and named it Lund. By 1894, Lund had become a well-known coastal settlement, featuring a wharf, a hotel, two stores, a blacksmith, a shoemaker, and several small farms. Exciting developments were underway with new roads linking Thulin’s Wharf to Malaspina Inlet. Residents thrive through logging, fishing, and hunting, though the Victoria government is growing increasingly concerned about Mr. Thulin’s actions.

The issue stemmed from Mr. Thulin having obtained the only liquor license granted on the North-West Coast north of Comox. This license was issued by the Licensing Court in the New Westminster District without consultation with the government, prompting them to seek an investigation into the matter.

As a result, Lund, BC, became the first location north of Victoria to legally sell liquor, with the license issued on May 12, 1893.

The British Columbia Government approved Mr. Fred Thulin’s application to construct the new Lund Wharf, for a cost of $89.00. Ironically, Fred also supplied materials for the same wharf and was paid $48.58. When the Union T S Company docked, a few fares, freight, etc., were charged and collected for a total of $33.00, and Mr. Revely paid fares for 5 men from the Lund Wharf to Vancouver, for which the government collected $15.00.

The new wharf under construction at Lund, Mr. James Gunn, the construction manager, and the foreman. The task was to raise the crib heights and reinforce the joists and stringers with 2×12 planks, making the wharf 12 feet wide and 65 feet long, at an additional expense of $338.00. This new wharf allowed the new Union Steamship Company’s vessel, the S.S. Comox, to land and unload its passengers and cargo.

Malaspina Strait PNWS15Tr02 (click on image to expand)

BC Public Accounts to June 1895 The Lund liquor licence (click on image for pdf of relevant pages)

South of Lund, an application was being developed under the Rivers and Streams Act of 1890. This Act was British Columbia’s response to replace the Federal Act of 1881. Its purpose was to guarantee public rights to float logs and timber down rivers, creeks, and streams, allowing companies to build improvements such as dams, slides, and booms to enhance river navigation. Premier John Robson introduced the Act through Theodore Davie, who served as the Chief Commissioner of Lands and Works.

During the early part of 1895, Mr. James Hartney applied under the Rivers and Streams Act for the rights to dam, clean, and remove obstructions in the Sliamen Stream, which flows from Powell Lake. When he applied, he had 28 days to proceed with this undertaking, and permission to secure logs and timbers at or near the mouth of the said stream. In addition, from June 24, 1895, Mr. Harney had permission to charge a toll to any and all persons for the use of such improvements, and the Judge of the County Court of the County of Vancouver shall fix that toll.

Mr. Hartney, during the same tenure of 1895, applied for timber licenses: one at the mouth of a stream flowing from Goat Lake into Powell Lake, and one four miles from Sliamen Stream along Powell Lake.

The Eagle River Lumber Company applied under the same Act for connection and damming, clearing and removing obstructions from the Eagle Stream flowing from the Gordon Pasha. From June 28, 1895, the company had 60 days to complete their work, which affected portions of District Lots 1571 and 560 in Group 1, New Westminster. The company had the same authority to impose tolls for the use of the improvements once a Judge set the tolls.

While both the Eagle River Lumber Company and Mr. Hartney were building and developing, Sliammon was at a standstill with the Department of Indian Affairs. In the report for the year ending June 30, 1895, there is barely any mention of lands or reserves: “The Indians who were residing at Sliammon did not suffer any losses from flooding that was affecting other Nations.” According to the report, they lived comfortably through logging, hunting, and fishing, which were part of their way of life, according to Frank Devlin, the Coast Indian agent at the time.

In September, Mr. P.O. O’Reilly, the Indian Commissioner, reported that the unfinished business concerning additions and extensions to the Sliammon reserve and many other reserves could not proceed due to a lack of available funds. On September 24, 1895, Mr. O’Reilly reported that surveyors Mr. Deverue and Mr. Skinner, who were temporarily discharged on January 8, 1895, had completed what reserve surveys they could do only up to the date of their dismissal, leaving several required adjustments unfinished.

The BC Gazette  (click on image for pdf of pertinant pages)

Indian Affairs documents 1895 (click on image for pdf of pages)

Office of the Indian Reserve Commissioner for the Province of British Columbia C-13901 1892 1894 1895 (click on image for pdf of pages)

As other internal issues were occurring within the Department of Indian Affairs, a letter arrived at the office of the Superintendent General of Indian Affairs in Ottawa. This letter was an acknowledgement of receipt of the granting of an Industrial School.

This letter was a forwarded correspondence from the Chiefs of Squamish, Seshelt, Cliamin and Clahoos tribes that they were pleased that their children were granted to construct their Industrial School and wished for the grant in place of Estimates for the construction of the school buildings on the Squamish Reserve.

The Chiefs took the occasion in the letter to humbly state that the said school be large enough to accommodate at least one hundred and fifty children, as there are over three hundred children in the four tribes to be benefited by the said industrial school,

The Chiefs informed the Department that they were overjoyed to learn that the Indian Department would provide them with an Industrial School. They put themselves to clearing and grubbing the ten acres of land that they selected and reserved for the site of the school, and it will all be cleared by April of the next year. This letter was signed by all the Chiefs, named Harry, Tom, Charley, Joseph, Joe and James.

All the Chiefs received a response from the office of Mr. A.W. Vowell, a forwarded letter dated December 20, 1895, stating that the Chiefs needed to get out of their minds that the Industrial School was not to be that, but only a simple Day School or Boarding School. During a meeting, the Department acknowledged the misunderstanding and apologized for the confusion.

The area was growing in leaps and bounds; those who came to find their fortunes and then move on were begining to stay; it was time for the area to develop into a place for families.

Williams’ Official BC Directory 1895  (click on image for PDF of selected pages)

BC Parliament March 1894 (click on image for PDF of selected pages)

Annual Report Dept of Indian Affairs 1895 (click on image for pdf of selected pages)

Chief Commissioner of Land and works report 1895 (click on image for pdf of selected pages)

References:

https://open.library.ubc.ca/viewer/bcsessional/1.0063753?

https://bcarchives.ca/

Annual Report of the Department of Indian Affairs for the Year Ended June 30, 1895. Ottawa: S.E. Dawson, Printer to the Queen’s Most Excellent Majesty, 1896. Held in the Library and Archives Canada collection.

Williams’ Official British Columbia Directory, 1895. Victoria: The Colonist Printing and Publishing Company, 1895.

MemoryBC – The British Columbia Archival Information Network. Repository descriptions for regional archives and institutional holdings related to 19th‑century BC governance and infrastructure

Historic Railways of the Powell River Area by R Ken Bradley Soft Cover – RailroadTreasures

H

Survey Lines and Sovereignty

]

Index

I

The Story of Powell River